Finally got some time this weekend to work out a basic outline for the Lesbian Handbook PDF/pamphlet! I’d like to keep it short and sweet, something that someone could download and skim through, but packed with as much info as possible. I’ve tried to concentrate on things I wish I had known before now – not just the obvious stuff I wish I’d been exposed to in high school but also the deeper “the patriarchy’s been tough on us” kind of things that helped me through the roughest patches.
If there’s anything you feel I’m missing please comment! All of these are just topics for now and will each have following explanations, etc. Most words are just notes for myself for now.
Here’s to hoping I can copy/paste right from GoogleDocs and keep my formatting!
How do I know if I’m a lesbian?
- What is sexual attraction/orientation?
- Not just “sex” in sexual attraction – attraction to a particular biological sex plus sympathy and admiration
- the “straight crush”
- lesbian feelings and relationships with men positive and negative
- Am I bisexual?
Accepting yourself as a lesbian
- Comfort in your own skin – appearance, clothing, etc.
- Photos of lesbians
- Lesbian sexuality
- overview of lesbian sex, sexual health, etc.
- Expressing your orientation, from creativity to crushes
- Coming out – to family, friends, publicly (as needed)
- Lesbian relationships
- The nature of lesbian relationships (equal partnerships)
- Marriage and weddings
- Flying solo
- Finding other lesbians
- local/women’s groups/festivals
- online/social networks/websites/apps
Lesbians and Gender Identity
- Gender Dysphoria – causes and symptoms (desire to not be a woman)
- Coping skills for dysphoria
- Non-binary gender identities
- Transition/trans men
- Lesbians and trans women/non-binary males
- Examples/presence throughout history
- Reasons for underrepresentation/misrepresentation
- Social pressure – heteronormativity
- Famous lesbians past and present
- Lesbian terminology – homosexual, gay woman, dyke, butch, femme, queer
- Lesbian symbology
- Lesbians in Literature/authors/books/etc.
- Lesbians in movies and TV series
- Lesbian musicians
Words from fellow Lesbians